King pellet stove 5502M (2024)

R

Rach

New Member
Nov 13, 2018
2
Ohio
  • Nov 13, 2018
  • #1

I'm having trouble with my stove reading error code 8 and shutting down. Stove is clean, fuses are good, and I just spent $400 replacing the room fan motor. It's still doing the same thing. Please help! I'm freezing?

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Nov 13, 2018
  • #2

Try resetting the control to factory settings. To return the control to its original factory default settings, press and hold the AUX UP and AUX DOWN buttons together for three seconds. When it is done give it a try. If it continues i would unplug and swap the fuse with another. Fuses can blow and still look good. Only way to be sure is test continuity with a multimeter.

  • King pellet stove 5502M (2)

Reactions:

FirepotPete

R

Rach

New Member
Nov 13, 2018
2
Ohio
  • Nov 13, 2018
  • #3

I tried that 3 times after I replaced the motor and it's still doing it

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Nov 14, 2018
  • #4

Well then I would take the board out and look for burned traces. Unplug the stove before you do so.

ARC

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2017
539
Au Sable Forks, NY
  • Nov 14, 2018
  • #5

I have seen the fuse holders become weak and not make good connections on the fuses you should try jumping the fuse holder.

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Nov 14, 2018
  • #6

Test the holders with a fuse in and use a multimeter. Dont apply line voltage. If there’s a short somewhere it will fry your board

  • Jan 7, 2019
  • #7

Hi, I see this thread is from November of 2018 and I'm hoping by now your problem was resolved. I have the same problem with the same model stove. The room blower goes through the test mode fine and runs for as long you let it but when the stove starts up and the room blower starts the stove goes into a shutdown mode. The motor seems fine but I'm not sure about the board. I had a model 5500 and pulled that board and installed it in the 5502m and the stove runs fine but I'm not sure all the safety circuits are right. The igniter circuit is different and I don't use it. I had the stove for two years before hooking it up and the warranty expired so The company won't help. I was thinking about getting the circuit board repaired or buying a new board but if that's not the problem I'll be out a lot of money but still have the same problem. Did you have any success in solving this problem?

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 7, 2019
  • #8

Rach said:

I'm having trouble with my stove reading error code 8 and shutting down. Stove is clean, fuses are good, and I just spent $400 replacing the room fan motor. It's still doing the same thing. Please help! I'm freezing?

I am having trouble too with basically the same thing and thought about the fuses.they look good but who knows.is there certain brand or regular buss fuses?

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 7, 2019
  • #9

well put my reply in wrong spot.Anyway have 5500m and mine is doing basically same thing.What kind of fuses does it take?

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Jan 7, 2019
  • #10

Should be a 5amp 120v/250v fast blow

Y

York5502m

New Member
Jan 7, 2019
5
York,Pa
  • Jan 7, 2019
  • #11

Ssyko said:

Should be a 5amp 120v/250v fast blow

Hi, Metermaid2. I checked my fuses with a multimeter and all showed continuity. I looked at each circuit comparing the room fan to the auger and exhaust and they seem to show continuity for the most part. I think there may be diodes or other components that make it difficult for me to prove the whole circuit out from beginning to end. I know a little about electronics but even this simple board is past my experience. I want to check wire harness to make sure the wires to the room fan is not pinched or grounded but it may be a mute point because the fan runs well in test mode. I keep thinking it must be a processor on the board. Jason Munson from California repairs boards for $250 but he charges that if he can fix it or not. The cheepest new board I found is $350. I would spend the money if I knew a new board would fix the problem. I was hoping I could benefit from the solution the originator of this thread used. Right now the stove runs well with a 5500 model board. It's 27 degrees out so having the stove going is making it hard to shut down to troubleshoot more. Maybe I answered my own question. The stove runs with the old board. By means of pluck and chuck, it looks like the board.

Y

York5502m

New Member
Jan 7, 2019
5
York,Pa
  • Jan 8, 2019
  • #12

I missed your model number 5500m. The model I have is a 5502m. If you think it may be the fuse switch fuses with another circuit like the exhaust fan and see if the problem follows the fuse. If it does that would be a cheep fix.

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #13

York5502m said:

I missed your model number 5500m. The model I have is a 5502m. If you think it may be the fuse switch fuses with another circuit like the exhaust fan and see if the problem follows the fuse. If it does that would be a cheep fix.

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #14

well I changed fuses and no luckI will look again at wires .I am far from an electrician and praying I can figure this out

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #15

York5502m said:

Hi, I see this thread is from November of 2018 and I'm hoping by now your problem was resolved. I have the same problem with the same model stove. The room blower goes through the test mode fine and runs for as long you let it but when the stove starts up and the room blower starts the stove goes into a shutdown mode. The motor seems fine but I'm not sure about the board. I had a model 5500 and pulled that board and installed it in the 5502m and the stove runs fine but I'm not sure all the safety circuits are right. The igniter circuit is different and I don't use it. I had the stove for two years before hooking it up and the warranty expired so The company won't help. I was thinking about getting the circuit board repaired or buying a new board but if that's not the problem I'll be out a lot of money but still have the same problem. Did you have any success in solving this problem?

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #16

no I didn't.I changed the fuses and yeah when I shut it off the it doesn't really try and shut down.I was wondering when I turn it on and motor starts but auger motor wont start .so I hit off and let it run til it does shut down.Hate to pull everything again

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #17

Sounds like your board has taken a surge and fried some triacs.

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #18

sure wasn't hoping to hear that.You all are very informative on here.and have gotten a lot of feedback.I guess have to help each other cause the stove company wont.Pretty sure I hooked up everything right on control board when I pulled the room fan.where can I get a actual diagram of what leads goes where

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
4,338
Lorraine NY
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #19

You put the wires on the same spades the old was on? it shouldn't matter which wire AC don't care. As long as they went back on the same 2. Can you post a picture of the board and connectors?

Last edited:

Y

York5502m

New Member
Jan 7, 2019
5
York,Pa
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #20

metermaid2 said:

sure wasn't hoping to hear that.You all are very informative on here.and have gotten a lot of feedback.I guess have to help each other cause the stove company wont.Pretty sure I hooked up everything right on control board when I pulled the room fan.where can I get a actual diagram of what leads goes where

On the lastpage of my stove manual there is a wiring diagram. In the center of the diagram the main pcb is labeled. The drawn representation shows the positions the wires should be plugged in.the molex connector is shown at the top so you can get the proper orientation. The circuits are labeled on the board and the steaks are also labled. The molex plug is prewired and only goes together one way. If you don't have the manual, I can give you the wire colors and the terminal locations.

Y

York5502m

New Member
Jan 7, 2019
5
York,Pa
  • Jan 9, 2019
  • #21

Do you have one board or two stacked one on the other?

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 10, 2019
  • #22

Ssyko said:

You put the wires on the same spades the old was on? it shouldn't matter which wire AC don't care. As long as they went back on the same 2. Can you post a picture of the board and connectors?

M

metermaid2

Member
Feb 1, 2018
49
LaPorte,IN
  • Jan 10, 2019
  • #23

I can try.I have a feeling I need a new stove but don't want to give up yet

You must log in or register to reply here.

King pellet stove 5502M (2024)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Melvina Ondricka

Last Updated:

Views: 6629

Rating: 4.8 / 5 (68 voted)

Reviews: 91% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Melvina Ondricka

Birthday: 2000-12-23

Address: Suite 382 139 Shaniqua Locks, Paulaborough, UT 90498

Phone: +636383657021

Job: Dynamic Government Specialist

Hobby: Kite flying, Watching movies, Knitting, Model building, Reading, Wood carving, Paintball

Introduction: My name is Melvina Ondricka, I am a helpful, fancy, friendly, innocent, outstanding, courageous, thoughtful person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.